Jr. High History The Modern World - Renaissance to 20th century (Leo only 9am) 5th-8th $125
This class is a 2 semester course and semesters can be taken independent of each other. Each semester is worth 1 Indiana high school credit
Recommended Grades 5th - 8th
Duration 50 minutes 2 - 12 week semesters on Thursdays / pay by the semester
Semester 1 Sept 9, 2021 – Dec 2, 2021
Semester 2 Jan 13, 2022 – Mar 31, 2022
Location North Leo Mennonite Church 15419 State Road 1, Leo, IN 46765
Instructor Jenn MacDonald (260) 445-3838 email@example.com Facebook Messenger https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.r.macdonald.3 Instructor’s other classes can be viewed at https://www.lifehs.net/store/c18/Jenn_MacDonald.html
Required Texts (choose the option that works best for your family)
Catholic Textbook Option
- The Story Of Civilization Volume 3: The Making Of The Modern World Textbook by Phillip Campbell ISBN: 9781505109825
Protestant Textbook Option (both books below are needed as we’ll cover sections of both books this year)
- The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 3: Early Modern by Susan Wise Bauer (any version should work) ISBN 978-0971412996
- The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 4: The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR by Susan Wise Bauer (any version should work) ISBN 978-0972860338
If you would like the Activity Guide for your personal use, you are welcome to purchase it. However, one of the purpose of this class is for the students to do crafts and activities, based on the concepts in the readings. Therefore, the Activity Guide is not needed for this class.
If you would like the Test and Answer Key for this text, you are welcome to purchase it. Since the elementary classes are not graded, this is not part of this class, but if you would like to add it into your homeschool, you’re welcome to do so. The Jr. High students will have some quiz review in class.
MAKE HISTORY COME ALIVE through crafts, games, and lively discussion along with preparing those Jr. High students for high school through quarterly quizzes!
In this class junior high students get the added benefit of helping prepare students for high school by asking the big questions in history:
- What are systems of economics at play in this historical context? What are the consequences?
- What are the systems of government that help us understand history?
- Is there a psychological reason these people responded this way?
- What are the philosophies guiding these decisions?
- What are the theological / psychological / sociological / philosophical / economic / scientific contributors to these wars and their effects?
Philosophers, explorers, presidents, scientists, emperors, and soldiers who have all had a hand in bringing us the world we live in today will be explored. Students will learn through hands-on activities, exciting quizzes and discussion to bring the events of the last 500 years to life.
Class fee covers materials for activities and crafts as well as printed materials, so you don’t have to purchase the activity guide or the test and answer books.
*If you have a student with special needs, please contact the teacher directly to discuss how to best accommodate your child.
**All Life Adventures activities & classes require an annual family registration. Once you’ve registered your family, to enroll in a class, pay the $10 enrollment fee and in the notes tell us the name and age/grade of the child you are enrolling. 2nd semester sign-ups will need to re-enroll their child through this process. The teacher will contact you within one week of enrollment to give class details and be available for questions.