Elementary Literature Renaissance to 20th century (Leo only 11am) 1st-5th $125
This class is a 2 semester course and semesters can be taken independent of each other.
Recommended Grades 1st - 5th
Duration 50 minutes 2 - 12 week semesters on Thursdays / pay by the semester
Semester 1 Sept 9, 2021 – Dec 2, 2021
Semester 2 Jan 13, 2022 – Mar 31, 2022
Location North Leo Mennonite Church 15419 State Road 1, Leo, IN 46765
Instructor Jenn MacDonald (260) 445-3838 email@example.com Facebook Messenger https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.r.macdonald.3 Instructor’s other classes can be viewed at https://www.lifehs.net/store/c18/Jenn_MacDonald.html
Crafts, activities, discussion, games, worksheets & play are typical classroom activities in our history class. Elementary classes are not graded, but fun and interactive learning.
Now more than ever, other countries and customs affect our everyday lives―and our children need to learn about the people who live all around the world. This course does not cover American History. We’ll hit that next year. We’ll discuss American intervention in world affairs as it comes on the world stage only.
We’ll sweep across the landscape of the globe meeting people groups and events that have a direct effect on us today. And we’ll do it in an engaging age-appropriate manner.
To get the most out of this class, your child should read the assigned book before class. It is a big list of books, so every effort has been made to find free online version and you are welcome to check these out of the library. Keep in mind, you’ll need to place them on hold well in advance of needing them to be able to obtain them. The week we read them, those books will be hot commodities! In addition, for families with multiple ages of kids in our classes, we use many of the same books in both Jr. High and Elementary Lit classes this year, making every effort to keep costs affordable for families.
Required Book List
1. Michelangelo by Diane Stanley 48pgs (Used in wk 2 in Elem & Jr. High Lit classes) [6 at ACPL]
2. William Shakespeare and the Globe by Aliki 48pgs [3 at ACPL]
3. Don Quixote Dover Children's Thrift Classics FREE ONLINE isbn 978-0486407913 or any (abridged) 64 pgs
4. Elizabeth I the outcast who became England's queen 64pgs [4 at ACPL]
5. You Wouldn't Want to Be Mary, Queen of Scots! A Ruler Who Really Lost Her Head 32pgs [3 at ACPL]
6. Assorted Poems FREE ONLINE
7. You Wouldn't Want to Be Sick in the 16th Century 32pgs (Used Wk 8 in Jr. High Lit class) [7 at ACPL]
8. Treasure Island abridged FREE ONLINE or any (Used wks 9 & 10 in Elem & Jr. High Lit classes)
9. Peter the Great by Diane Stanley (Used in wk 11 in Elem & Jr. High Lit classes) isbn 978-0688167080 32 pgs [3 at ACPL]
10. Christmas lyrics through history as literature. Your child is welcome to memorize a traditional Christmas hymn and sing it for us / with us, but this is optional.
11. You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aristocrat in the French Revolution! 32pgs (Used in wk 12 in Jr. High Lit class & wk 14 in Elem Lit class) [8 copies at ACPL]
13. The Secret Garden abridged by Martha Hailey DuBose or any abridged 160pg (Used wks 17-19 in Elem Lit class & wks 18-19 in Jr. High Lit class)
14. Florence Nightengale (any) FREE ONLINE
15. Winnie-the-Pooh, A.A. Milne & Shepherd, chapters 1-7 80 pgs FREE AUDIO
17. I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 112pgs [ACPL 10 copies +]
*If you have a student with special needs, please contact the teacher directly to discuss how to best accommodate your child.
**All Life Adventures activities & classes require an annual family registration. Once you’ve registered your family, to enroll in a class, pay the $10 enrollment fee and in the notes tell us the name and age/grade of the child you are enrolling. 2nd semester sign-ups will need to re-enroll their child through this process. The teacher will contact you within one week of enrollment to give class details and be available for questions.