Beginning Ukulele (Bluffton only 10am 1st semester only) 4th-12th $100
THIS CLASS IS AVAILABLE IN BLUFFTON ONLY 1st SEMESTER
Recommended Grades 4th – 12th (Highly interested 3 rd graders will be considered)
Instructor Julie Drummond 260-273-0595 (Call or Text) firstname.lastname@example.org and
Facebook/Messenger Instructor’s other classes can be viewed at https://www.lifehs.net/store/c73/JulieDrummond
Duration 50 minutes 2 - 12 week semesters / pay by the semester
- Semester 1 Sept 3, 2021 – Dec 2, 2021
- Semester 2 Jan 7, 2022 – Mar 25, 2022
Time & Location
10am Fridays St. Joseph Catholic Church, 1300 N. Main St. Bluffton, IN 46714
- Soprano Ukulele
- 3 ring Binder
Come strum along with me as we enjoy the magical happy sound of the ukulele! This is a great beginning class for younger students interested in ukulele and guitar. The ukulele itself is easier to play, and offers all the technical details needed to further their learning if they ever want to play guitar. This course will give you the tools necessary to play the ukulele to a variety of different songs. The class will focus on learning about the ukulele, open chords, picking and strumming patterns, reading music notation, practice ethics, and ukulele resources.
There will be several assignments given throughout the class. Each one will have at least a one week notice before it is due.
- Practice Cards - The students will have a practice chart that all students will be required to show me each week. EACH STUDENT IS TO PRACTICE AT LEAST 30 MINUTES A WEEK! I recommend breaking this up into 3 - 10-15 minute sections. Each week the parent/guardian must sign the practice card indicating that the student practiced the time shown. In order for the muscles and brain to form muscle memory, students must practice. Without practice, the students will never advance in learning to play ukulele.
- Each student will pick a piece that incorporates at least 4 open chords. All songs must be school appropriate, and must be approved by me. The last playing test of the year will be a small performance of each student performing their song.
- There will be several small assignments that will be assigned throughout the semester. These include; identifying the parts of the ukulele, identifying the strings of the ukulele, finding and printing songs off of the website Ultimate-Guitar, identifying chords of the ukulele, identifying picking patterns, identifying strumming patterns, and others that are needed to help students recall the information.
- All assignments are to be turned in on time for a full grade. However, I will accept late work for partial credit as it is more important to me that the student learns the material. If there are issues that arise during the semester that impedes a student’s work, please let me know and we will adjust as needed.
- Overall I want all students to learn to play and have fun playing the ukulele.
Each student will be graded on performing songs throughout the semester. Each song will be graded on the following criteria; correct chords or notes, correct rhythm and/or strumming pattern, and keeping a steady beat. The last playing test will be the song that the student has chosen.
TO REGISTER FOR THIS CLASS, YOU MUST PAY THE $25 NON-REFUNDABLE REGISTRATION FEE. The remainder of the fee is due the first day of class in a check made out to the teacher.
Add to Cart & Check Out. Please put the student's name in the "Notes" at checkout.
Your new teacher will be contacting you in a week's time. Please contact her if you have any other questions.